Wednesday 27 May 2009

"i'm a lesbian. would you like to punch me?"

From my inbox...

Hey friends,

Gina Young here, a.k.a. Gina Genius from Team Gina. I'm writing to you today because I'm "like so totally over" violence against queer people and the constant denial of our rights as human beings. Not only did California uphold Proposition 8 today, banning gay marriage, but Seattle has seen yet another in a string of hate crimes and I am ready to do something about it!

You can read more about the specific recent incident on my blog at http:​/​/​myspace.​com/​ginayoung

In response to the ubiquitous threat of violence against lesbians, I am starting a public art / performance art project entitled, "I'm a lesbian. Would you like to punch me?"

If you would like to participate in this project, here's all you have to do:

1) Make a sign, on a big piece of posterboard or using any materials you would like, that says "I'm a lesbian. Would you like to punch me?"

2) Take a picture of yourself holding that sign. [For this project to have maximum impact, I would like to request that only lesbian-​identified people hold the signs. Friends and allies are welcome to take the picture or appear elsewhere in the picture, but please let's only have the signs held by actual lesbians.]

3) Send pictures to gina@​ginayoung.​com [Please note that submitting your pictures to that address indicates consent to have them published on the internet and potentially in other media.]

For the second part of this project I am thinking of doing a series of public performances in which I will stand on a busy street corner with a sign reading "I'm a lesbian. Would you like to punch me?" to see if anyone punches me. This portion of the project will be site-specific to Seattle, to call the city out on its passive-​aggressiveness.​ Despite its somewhat-​deserved reputation as a friendly, liberal city, Seattle has seen a rash of hate crimes against queer people recently as well as threats against gay bars and other queer spaces. I personally am sick of watching my friends hide their sexuality in public places because they fear the violence that lurks just beneath the surface.

Thanks for spreading the word!
Gina Young
gina@​ginayoung.​com

No comments: