Tuesday 23 March 2010

exploring attitudes towards breasts

From my inbox...

From Corin:

I am currently undertaking an MA in Gender Studies at the University of Leeds and am looking for people to take part in my dissertation research.

My research project is called ‘Queer Breasts’. The intention of my research project is to explore attitudes towards breasts among queer, female-identified people and the impact this has on experiences of queer female embodiment. I will be drawing on existing narratives of the female body in literature on cosmetic surgery and in trans theory. Traditional accounts of cosmetic surgery have typically focused on heterosexual women, thus creating narratives of a specifically gendered, female body. My interest in researching queer, female-identified participants is to explore attitudes towards breasts outside of a heteronormative context.

The first part of my research is a short, emailed questionnaire. From the returned questionnaires I will be selecting a small cross-section of participants for follow up interviews. You are not committing yourself to anything by completing the questionnaire.

I am looking for participants who self-identify as queer and female, and are willing to talk about their breasts with me and attitudes towards cosmetic surgery. This does not mean you have to identify specifically as a woman, have had any cosmetic surgery, or currently have breasts to take part. If you consider yourself queer and female-bodied then please feel free to participate.

You will need to have an email address.

You will also potentially need to be available for interview within the next three months either in Leeds or London.

If you know anyone else who may be interested in participating please invite them to the group.

If you would like to complete a questionnaire, or have any questions or comments, please email me: QueerBreastsResearch@googlemail.com

I will be collecting questionnaires until Monday 12th April, 2010.

Facebook group for more info

No comments: