Tuesday 18 October 2011

in all our decadence...

I remember exactly where I was when I first heard Crass's 'Shaved Women', it came on my walkman via a genius mixtape when I was sat upstairs on a double-decker bus, way back when. I was thinking about it this morning when a girl who couldn't have been more than 14 joined me to wait for the bus. She was wearing a home-made Crass hoodie. To know that that girl exists in 2011 and on my bus route made me deliriously happy.
Imagine the co-incidence upon getting home to discover that there's an exhibition in New York that had skipped my notice:

"IN ALL OUR DECADENCE PEOPLE DIE"
AN EXHIBITION OF FANZINES PRESENTED
TO CRASS BETWEEN 1976 AND 1984
PLUS ORIGINAL CRASS-ERA ARTWORKS BY GEE VAUCHER
AND A NEW AUDIO INSTALLATION BY PENNY RIMBAUD.


I am a total sucker for Gee's work. And, I'm still as stunned by that song as I was at the time...

No comments: